InvestUP seeks an Executive Director to lead business and talent development across the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.
InvestUP is a private sector-led economic development initiative keenly focused on driving economic growth across Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. Founded by the region’s leading private sector businesses and universities, its mission is to deliver business and job growth for the region. The Board is comprised of member CEOs and Presidents, who have identified the following strategic objectives for the organization:
• Attract and retain talent
• Attract new businesses in key industries
• Promote the Upper Peninsula externally for its outstanding business and lifestyle opportunities
• Advance and grow existing U.P. businesses
These strategic objectives shall be the initial framework for the Executive Director. The ideal candidate for this position should be a results-driven strategic thinker with a strong track record of demonstrable success in business development and leadership. He or she would also be well-connected to deliver success for the region.
To be successful in this dynamic role, it will be critical for you to build relationships and persistently uncover new opportunities that are consistent with the InvestUP mission. The ability to develop and execute a strategic plan will also be critical to your success. This position is responsible for all aspects of InvestUP’s operations and reports to the InvestUP Board of Directors.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
• Expand the Upper Peninsula economy (GDP) through growth of existing businesses, recruitment of new businesses, retention of current businesses and collaboration across the economic spectrum.
• Build a recruitment system that brings needed talent to the region that fills critical skill sets.
• Manage an internal (UP) and external communications plan with a team to create meaningful strategic content to generate media coverage that provides visibility for UP businesses and opportunities.
• In concert with the Board, develop ongoing strategy for the organization and execute it. Dynamically modify as needed in light of a changing regional and world economy.
• Proactively work with Board leadership to develop and deliver board agendas and related materials.
• Pitch and close existing and potential businesses opportunities. • Network with local, state, regional & national organizations to identify and coordinate economic development opportunities.
• Strategically connect organization and people to grow business.
• Responsible for leading and developing staff and organizational systems and processes.
• A strong work ethic and character that exemplify InvestUP’s values.
• Establish and maintain cooperative/effective working relationships within the business community, advisory groups, governmental agencies, elected officials, and citizens.
• Present to community groups and private enterprise, as needed.
The annual salary will be based on the knowledge, experience, education and connectivity you bring and will be competitive with standards for the profession. Bonus incentives will also be established. In addition, a comprehensive benefit package is offered that includes medical, retirement, paid holidays, paid vacation, travel budget, cell phone and relocation.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR THE IDEAL EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
• Bachelor’s degree or higher, or equal experience. A graduate degree in a related field is desirable.
• Understanding of private sector business development process and needs. • Proven experience owning the entire business development cycle: sourcing, pitching, negotiating, closing, and on-boarding. In other words, a proven track record of delivering results.
• Understanding of basic marketing principals, marketing strategies and brand strategy.
• 5+ years’ experience in business, economic, and/or legislative development.
• Management and leadership of a team.
• Ability to structure proposals and execute: identify opportunities and needs, match with potential resources, cultivate relationships, develop term sheets, drive contract negotiations, and secure final approvals.
• Proven ability to open doors, network, and forge relationships that includes public and private capital sources as well as state and local government officials. Ability to work with a diverse set of stakeholders.
• Excellent listening, communication, presentation, problem solving & time management skills w/a record of sound applied logic.
• Willingness and ability to travel.
• Willingness and ability to relocate to the Upper Peninsula.
INTERESTED? Apply online at investup.sdsjobs.com
DEADLINE TO APPLY. Preference will be given to applicants who apply before September 15, 2018.
Learn more about InvestUP at investupmi.com.